Girl Meets World


Alohamora my Heart

The past couple of days have been fantastic. Makes up for all the not so excitable days I've had since I've got here, although I've had quite a few really good ones. Anyways, it's been awhile since I last posted, so I'll give you a run down of the past week or so, then get into the good stuff.

Last week I had Thursday and Friday off. I didn't really do too much on Thursday, just sort of chilled. But on Friday I went to Aquatica with Joey. It was amazing. I love water parks, I do. And I loved this one, all because of one attraction. This river rapids thing, which Joey and I spent a few hours in. It's basically like your every day water park lazy river, except there are no tubes. You literally just get in and let the current take you. It's fantastic, relaxing, and so so so fun. I want to go back. Our day there was pretty great, except around lunch I either put sunscreen adorned hands in my eyes, or had a reaction to the chlorine, and I spent about an hour mildly blind and my eyes were burning and tearing up like mad. I rested some, used some eyedrops, and bought sunglasses and it got a bit better. But man, it hurt like a bitch.

On Saturday I was back at work, then I gave away my shift on Sunday and just did stuff around the apartment. It was very low key. Monday back to work, this time I was on an Ice Cream Cart again, which I despise. Thankfully there were two of us there so it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. I'm telling you, the heat is just getting worse and worse here. I've spent two summers in Florida and I dont' remember it being this bad.

On Tuesday I was in Dino Diner and there were quite a few of us in there thanks to some trainees, so I didn't have to do too much work which was nice. The people in there were pretty fun as well, so it wasn't a terrible shift. Best part was I got off at 5 and didn't have to clean.

Wednesday I was in the pretzel kiosk and I wasn't supposed to have to clean, but I did...so I got off work an hour late. I wasn't too pissed about this though as I was jazzed about the next day:

Thursday! Awesomeness has arrived in Florida in the form of Kevin Casey. To my three fans who may or may not recall blogs of years past, Kevin and I were both on the program in 2006. He's the first Disney friend I made when we started chatting in December of '05. Irish and amazing. I haven't seen him since a brief jaunt he did when I was here in '07. We went to Epcot with one of his Great Movie Ride friends, Pat. Despite so much rain that I decided to rename the park Wetcot, it was a blast. We ate lunch at Sunshine Seasons, did The Land, Imagination, and Ellen's Energy Adventure, and then headed over to World Show Case and looped around there, stopping in Mexico and Norway for the rides. We snacked on Popcorn in Canada and saw Shanan, another former ICP of '06 who is there on a cultural rep program. Then we met up with more of Kev's friends and ate quick service in Japan, then watched Illuminations. All around an excellent, awesome day.

As for yesterday, this is the stuff I know you all (all three of you) have been waiting for! THE WIZARDING WORLD OF HARRY POTTER.

If you know me, at all, you know I'm a Harry Potter nut. Back when I was 14 I was even a little insane about it. Remember all that HP stuff I had? Anyways, I've been waiting for this park to open for years. When I was trying to decide whether or not to come back this summer, WWHP played a massive part in my decision.

I never actually intended to go to opening day, but when I had it off, it just seemed fortuitious, so I thought, what the hell. It'll only happen once right?

So yesterday morning I woke up at 439AM, about one minute before my alarm was set to go off, and got ready. I was supposed to be getting a ride from another Canadian ICP, Jaimie at 5am. But he didn't show. I waited half an hour with no word. I contemplated just giving up and going back to bed, but I was dressed and awake and excited. So I called a cab and took it to Universal. I arrived aroudn 545/600am and hightailed it from the parking garages, down city walk, and around to where I ended up in line in front of the NBA world place. Was there for about half an hour before they started to let people go in the park. I got in the park about 645 and then hightailed it around the left side until I met up with the end of the line in Jurrasic Park.

I finally got a call from Jaimie who told me he'd overslept, but he was on his way. He got into the park and found me in line, where we stayed for about two hours. About 930 the line started to move a little bit as they gradually let people in to the WWHP. I didn't see any celebrities but I have now learned that they were just a couple hundred feet from me...sigh. Rupert Grint...I suppose it just wasn't meant to be, this time...

I think we finally got let in around 1030am. We rushed over, while snapping pictures on our way, to Hogwarts so we could ride The Forbidden Journey. The wait time said 90 minutes, but I doubt we were in that line more than 40, maybe less. The queue is really cool. It passes some awesome HP landmarks including Dumbledore's office and the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom. We finally got on the ride and OMG it's amazing. The ride is Harry Potter, so it's automatically awesome. But when you add in the ride system, which is completely new and awesome, it's like...awe inspiring. I was just enthralled. It's part motion simulator, part moving attraction. All together awesome.

After the ride we returned to Hogsmead and saw that the place was absolutely nuts. When we'd come in clearly they weren't at capacity yet so it wasn't too bad. Not the case now. We were hungry so contemplated going to a different part of the park for food, but learned if we left, we'd have to get back in line...which was hours long, to get back in. So we stayed. We waited in line about 45 minutes to get into The Three Broomsticks for lunch. It was worth it. I've never had better quick service theme park food. The Roast Potatoes were to die for. The corn on the cob was awesome, and my chicken was great. I had trifle for dessert or 'pudding' and it was soooo good. Oh and I had butterbeer, which was pretty good...I loved that it comes with like whip cream on top, and then with lunch I had pumpkin juice which was soo good, but sooo sweet. I could barely finish it because of just how intensely sweet it is.

After lunch we went back out into Hogsmead and went in Honeydukes where Jaimie bought some candy. We sat while he ate some, I had a Bertie Botts Every Flavored bean in I beleive onion, then fish...I don't think I shall try those again any time soon. After that we went on Flight of the Hippograph which is an old ride that's been converted for WWHP. Not too exciting. The wait was really short.

Then we rode Forbidden Journey again, this time as single riders and we just walked on. It was fantastic. I bought a lanyard at the shop at the end of the ride, it looks like a Gryffindor tie. Then we went back out into the mess, analyzed the lines for Olivanders and Dervish and Banges (which were longer than the ride queue) and decided to wait til our next visit to try those stores. I can't wait though. Oh all the things I shall buy. Robes, a wand, a scarf....oh my.

They also converted Dueling Dragons to "Dragon Challenge" which is supposed to be themed around the Triwizard Cup. Honestly, I wish they'd just get rid of the damn ride. WWHP was at capacity and literally, it was a walk on the entire day. Nobody cares. And really I don't want to see the coaster's tracks all faded blue and red when I'm standing in the splendor of Hogsmead.

After Dragon Challenge Jaimie and I decided to leave the WWHP and move over to Universal Studios. We'd been in there about 6 hours, so we felt like we'd had a good taste. We walked out through the Lost Continent and Suess Landing. When we got to the front of the park, we saw a line and were like, wonder what that's for. Jaimie asked someone. It was the line to get into WWHP.

At this point I'd like you to confer with the posted link below: www.talkdisney.com/maps/ioamap.gif

Now there's no WWHP on this map yet, but see the squiggly blue and red lines in the top right hand corner, that's about where it is. Now when I got in the park yesterday morning, I was waiting in the Jurrasic Park area about where the 15 is. Find that. Okay...so not too far. It actually looks farther than I was considering the way things have been built.

Now go find Port Of Entry....and then imagine a line going from there, left, through Marvel Island, Toon Lagoon, Jurassic Park...that's where the line to get in to WWHP ended when Jamie and I were leaving after 4pm. Holy shit right? That had to be a 6-10 hour wait, judging by how much time people were spending in there. They couldn't only let people in as they left...nut show. I'm so glad I got there when I did...sure I had to wait the three or four hours in the start, but I got in before it hit capacity so compared to people who got there even just an hour after me, I probably had a two hour shorter wait or more.

NUTS. And it will probably be that way for weeks to come. We'll see.

So we left IOA and went over to Studios. We did ET, Terminator and two goes at The Mummy, then left and stopped for dinner at Margartiaville on City Walk. We finally got home just around 83opm. Thought I would crash, but managed to stay awake for a bit longer and talk to the roomies.

All in all, it was a gong show, but I'm sooooo glad I went. Now I can say I was there for the opening of WWHP and it was amazing! Too bad I didn't find Rupert Grint...sigh. Oh well. I can't wait to go back.

I'm off again today, gave away my shift, and am heading out to hang out with Kevin again later. Can't wait.


Brynna

PS. I'll post pictures on Facebook soonish.

0 comments